For our inaugural soup swap, we are inspired by my almost-name-twin, Kathy Gunst and her new book Soup Swap. Here's how it works:
- Make some soup! about 4 quarts, give or take
- On the day of the swap, bring your soup and three empty quart-size containers (for the soup that you will take home). Also bring your recipe.
- Midway Kitchen will provide bread, salad, wine, bowls, spoons. After a little mingling, we'll all get to taste the soups. Once we've had time to taste, the swap will begin!
- Everyone will draw a number and take turns talking about their soup, how wonderful it is and why they love it.
- After that, and in reverse order, we'll take turns picking a soup to take home, each person getting 3 soups at the end. Trading is encouraged after the initial swap!
- A Sunday afternoon of fun for only $10 - and take home enough soup to have a several more meals.
We'll be collecting donations for food related organizations and events that help the community at each swap. This swap we'll be collecting money for Ashley Rising, a program that teaches life skills to mothers in recovery, including cooking skills. Or you can donate online http://www.ashleyrising.org/donate.html
For inspiration and recipe ideas, go to Flyleaf Books, mention Midway Community Kitchen cookbook club and get a 20% discount on any cookbook - including Soup Swap by Kathy Gunst!