In order to grow your business and sell the food you will be preparing at Midway there are 4 things you will need:

  • A permit from the Orange County Health Department or the NCDA
  • SafeServ Certification
  • NC Business License
  • General liability insurance 

Orange County Health Department

Before you can prepare and sell food in NC, a permit for retail food service will most likely be required. Permits are issued by Environmental Health, a service within the Orange County Health Department that is responsible for protection of public health.  You will need to fill out an application, and they will complete a review of your menus, plans, and equipment considerations. 

The Orange County Health Department will walk you through the required steps in order to get you started. Once you get the application approved, they will set up a time to meet you at the kitchen. This will need to be coordinated with us, as we have to be on site during that inspection. For the inspection you will prepare a simple recipe that is representative of what you make while the inspector watches.  The inspectors are extremely nice, easy to work with, and supportive of small businesses. 

1. Check out these links to begin the process:

2. Download a layout of the Kitchen the health department will require for your permit by clicking here. 

3. You will also need the following storage information:

  • Reach-in refrigerator storage: 12 ft3
  • Reach-in freezer storage: n/a
  • Walk-in refrigerator storage: 24 ft3
  • Walk-in freezer storage: 12 ft3
  • Dry storage space: 24 ft3.  

North Carolina Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (NCDA)

Catering companies and meal distribution business are regulated by the Orange County Health Department, however, packaged foods that do not contain meat products are regulated by the NCDA Food and Drug Protection Division. Some products, like baked goods, jams and spices, can be produced without a license, but inspections can be made. Dairy products, including milk, frozen dessert, cheese and butter, require licensing. 

Learn more about NCDA requirements at:

ServSafe Certification

North Carolina regulations require all establishments to have a manager on duty that is ServSafe certified. There are regularly scheduled ServSafe classes and exam proctoring which you can attend in person or complete online. In order to work at Midway you must take the Manager Exam. 

Learn more here: http://raise-the-

NC Business License

Register your business in North Carolina here:

General Liability Insurance

General liability insurance is coverage that will protect you from a variety of claims such as bodily injury, property damage, personal injury and others that can arise from your business operations. Midway requires a $2 million General Liability Insurance Policy listing Midway Community Kitchen as additional insured.

Ready to get started? Fill out our rental questionnaire and we will set up a time to talk!